Saturday, March 12, 2011

Bryan gets married.

There must be something in the air during March. At least in Vegas. Because people we know get married the second week in March. All. The. Time. Every year it seems. And that thing must be at my parents' house. It first started with Sloan who got married March 12, 2005 and had her reception here. Then Joanna came around four years later and wanted her reception on March 14th. Then when Bryan got engaged, he asked my mom if they could have their open house in the backyard. The day? March 12th. Well. That would have been fine if my dad would have been here to keep the yard up. But since he isn't, the yard was NOT in shape to have a little kids' party, much less a wedding open house. So, the Gines went to work. They are some of the hardest working people I know. Ammon was going to be gone for the army during the wedding and open house so he couldn't be much help. Chris worked crazy hours and my mom had to watch Evan. I decided that I needed to get out and do my part. The Gines brought dirt, sod and flowers in and we all went to work. I actually got experience in laying sod. Brandon taught me everything I learned and we ended up being outside that day until like 10 pm. We were under a major time crunch because the sod had to be in a certain amount of days before not watering, walking, etc. We brought dirt into all the flower beds and then Kris brought over a lot of gorgeous flowers. I went to work again and planted them all around. Chris and my mom got to plant some too. I learned how much I get done when Ammon is not in town. It must be a weird testosterone that kicks in or something. Because every time Ammon is gone, I always get SO MUCH MORE done than when he is in town. You would think that would be different since I'm a single parent when he's gone. But, none the less, I learned a lot this time around. I learned how to pull weeds with the best tool ever (where has that been all my life?), how to lay sod, rip out old grass and how to cut. The best part? I did most of it with red Crocs on. As ugly as they are and even though I never wear them in public, I learned they come in pretty handy (even if you get dirt in them). I shoveled and actually had a really fun time outside. We ended up benefiting from the sod because it looked absolutely gorgeous. It was sad that Steven couldn't come into town to see the wedding or the open house, but it was good to have a lot of the people we knew come to our house instead of us having to go somewhere else. They also asked us if we could make Oreo truffles for that day. Um. Hello. Those are amazing and I've never met anyone who doesn't like them. We dipped them in pink and I decided last minute to write a G on all of them with white chocolate. I'd say that the day, and the wedding the week before, turned out to be a big success. And Bryan? Good job in picking Makenzie. She sure is going to put up a lot (with him going to basic training May 3rd). Good luck Gines!We went to the sealing in the St. George temple on March 5th. Such a pretty temple and SO extremely white. I love it. I missed Ammon though!
Tate and Kelsie watched Matthew outside while we all went in. It was so funny because who did they have? Their nephews and niece and oh, Matthew. They were so nice to do it and Matthew sure loved it. He talked about it for weeks. He took his Angel Moroni with him this trip and lost it somewhere on the grounds. Oh well. I hope it made some little boy really excited. Or maybe it was a convert who found it and investigated the church. Then they got baptized. Then they became the next prophet. Okay. You get it. He lost his Moroni.
Always loves his Uncle Chris.
After the wedding, we stayed in St. George and went to Cracker Barrel and then we decided to go to Brigham Young's home and the Tabernacle. I'd never been before and my favorite part was being in Brigham Young's room upstairs. The stairs were so steep that he couldn't get up and down in them so his room became church headquarters too. People came from all around to meet with the prophet. I couldn't help but feel the spirit in that room. I wonder how many "visitors" he had that came from the other side. And my favorite thing in the room? His prayer stool. Can you imagine how much a prophet must've used that thing? I'm surprised it lasted this many years. I am glad that Matthew got to experience things like this too. I love that he gets to feel the spirit that I can feel and he's only 2. I know that one day he'll recognize what a wonderful place the temple is and have a testimony of the prophets too.
Oreo Truffles.
This is the table that Chelsey (Brandon's wife) did. She does a great job. They had a lot of food leftover and we got to keep some cream puffs and eclairs. We were kind of glad more people didn't show up (ha ha).
Matthew had the best time at the "party." He loves receptions, ward parties, you name it. If only he knew how much I don't really enjoy going! I guess I better become more like a little child!
No Ammon.
Here's the sod I helped with! The yard looked really good.
This was just such a sweet picture. President and Sister Anderson had no clue I was taking it, but I really watched them as they walked away. They immediately held hands and he led her. I loved this. He sealed Ammon and me on our wedding and I couldn't help but remember our sealing and what a great opportunity we had to have him as our sealer. He is a great example to my dad, to me and our family. We have really grown to love them over all the years he was in the Stake Presidency with my dad.
Good luck Bryan and Kenzie!

0 comments: