Saturday, January 8, 2011

Our Christmas in January

Because of Ammon's work schedule, we had to go to Utah January 4-7 to exchange presents with Ammon's family. I have to say it was SUCH a nice trip. I actually really enjoy getting to go up there and getting to visit since we don't get to do it often. This trip was a blast because it was actually winter there. I didn't have a warm enough jacket for Matthew and he ended up wearing my beanie a lot to keep his head from getting so cold. I can't even explain how spoiled this only grandchild is on Ammon's side. He got a million presents and everyone just loved him. He warmed up to everyone pretty quickly and called Bill Santa. Because Bill got a remote-control helicopter like Matthew did for Christmas, he would talk about "Santa's helicopter" the whole trip. We first went all the way to West Haven to stay with Moya, Bill, Patrick and Hailey. Moya always feeds us so well and thinks of others way before she thinks of herself. We stayed in the basement and Matthew had his very own twin bed all to himself. His nap schedules were all thrown out of whack this trip, so he slept well at night. He got a big tractor that he just loved. Since he loves it outside, I knew this would come in extra handy once it got a little warmer. We got spoiled as well, (even from Kevin who we didn't even get to see). Aunt Hailey sure loved him. And he sure loved her.
Patrick even got us all a giftcard to Best Buy and Hailey got me these great long-sleeved pj's that I love. Matthew liked to watch Elf with them in the mornings.
We always love seeing Nate. Mark was living with his sister at the time so we picked him up and all went to Nate's house in Sugar House. They got us thoughtful presents including Yankees and Utes beanies, earrings, a firetruck for Matthew and Superman pj's. We got a pizza and enjoyed the company. Ammon can talk to his dad and brother for hours and hours and I love getting him to see his family. He has this different kind of love for them than he does for anyone else. Their apartment is a one-bedroom so it was small enough that we sit on the floor the whole time. We didn't mind though (especially Matthew with Nate and Hilary's two dogs).I thought I had found the perfect present for Hilary this year. I got her a bunch of I Love Lucy stuff. Not sure if it was perfect, but I sure thought so! It's always nice when you know what people like so if you got them that every time, it would be great.
(Hint: Anything Yankees would ALWAYS work for a present for me!)Matthew and Nate watching trash trucks! What a way to win Matthew's heart!Watching Santa Clause.All the Blair boys!With Hailey and Patrick.Matthew sure loved throwing snowballs (like Elf!) at Ammon. With the help of Nate, of course!
We didn't get to see Tanisha this trip unfortunately, but we did get to go see the Gilberts and their BRAND NEW HOUSE! This was one of the highlights and I was anticipating this the whole trip. It's AMAZING! I am so happy for them. They'd been in their old house since the 70s (the only house they'd ever lived in since getting married). Nick and Amanda are living there now, which is cool for them. Nick and Patti did have to leave their (our) old ward which I'm sure was hard on both parties. It was so great seeing their new house in Lehi right across the street from Jenny. We got to meet her fiance and talk a little about her upcoming wedding and Nick and Amanda even came down to visit.The Gilberts got me this amazing baseball of the old Yankee Stadium. I was SO SO excited! She knows us all so well. She got Matthew this Disney Pixar storybook that he literally looked at for three hours on the way home to Vegas and got Ammon some food (ALWAYS a safe bet!).Big Nick had this great old slot machine that was the highlight of Matthew's trip. We got to stay the night and stay up late talking to Patti. LOVED IT!No one can replace Rogue, but Seri comes in a close second. Such a good dog (but she still doesn't know how to close the door!)
Their new amazing home. It made me wonder if I would ever be in anything this nice!
(But then I remembered them and how it took them 30+ years to finally get the courage to move!)We went to breakfast at Kneaders the morning we left. AWESOME place with the best rolls. It was sad leaving and we are so grateful we got to go and got so spoiled from our family.
****(I swear I went on this trip! There was not one shot of me in any of them! That's what happens when everyone is always in need of a photographer.)****

0 comments: