Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

This year for Thanksgiving, we were supposed to be in Utah. But because of some circumstances, including Ammon having to work (shocker!), we ended up staying in Vegas. Everything about Thanksgiving was just as everyone pictures it. Great food, family, pies, a parade, a [losing] game...all the wonderful things that make Thanksgiving what it is. This year in particular, I realized a few blessings:
  • I am so not in charge of my life. That was actually a huge blessing or realization to me. No matter how much you plan or dream for, even things you may pray for, the Lord is in charge.
  • Tithing is one of the greatest blessings to me. It's never been a sacrifice.
  • Ammon might be one of the strongest people I know. He sticks through my problems and never waivers. His testimony stays strong, he continues to lead, pick up when he's needed and all along the way, he's serves others. I love him more, especially through any trial we face together.
  • I am more grateful for my health, and for Ammon's and Matthew's health (and the other family members' as well) everyday. I look at my son and I really REALLY am grateful for his perfectly good health.
  • I am so grateful for my mom. Other than Ammon, and even more than my dad, I think she is the strongest person I know. She doesn't falter, but continues to give everything.
  • For Matthew. No kidding. I mean, really the only thing I could ever complain about the kid is that I get frustrated about his eating habits. That's it. He is the most reverent, knowledgeable toddler I know, or ever have known. He was potty-trained in three days and never wets the bed. He is loving, giving, helpful and my best little bud. He's aware of my bad days and hugs me throughout any stressful time. He goes everywhere with me and I couldn't love him more!

There have been so many blessings I could go on and on about. I could be on my knees for an hour a day pouring out my gratitude and it still wouldn't be enough. It's odd that when you feel like you're at your worst, you recognize the Lord even more in your life.

I was just grateful that Ammon could be here with us that day (because Thursday is his off day every week. Otherwise, he'd be in the restaurant!).Sloan and I made pies at her house on Wednesday. Pumpkin, pecan, toll house, berry and a chocolate silk. We had seven pies and not a lot of leftovers after the weekend. (Isn't that the best part?!)
Shaun, Gina and Amelia came over and we watched the parade and Ammon's game (the Lions). They, OF COURSE, lost, but tradition is tradition and Ammon will always love a losing team!
Matthew and Amelia playing outside before dinner
My mom's annual cornucopia and great hors d'oeuvres. She is the best mom ever. Really. I learn so much from her and any girl would be lucky to live with their mom after she gets married when most people live alone!
Ammon's always a good sport and the hardest worker. Hence the reason he never complains about not getting to see his family as often as he'd like. Here he is talking to them.
Chris's first Thanksgiving back. We sure love FeFe.
Matthew anxiously and patiently waiting to eat dinner.

The kids' table! (Sorry for cutting your head off there Amelia!)
The Elders were there and everything. Another Bailey tradition!
Ammon and Matthew's favorite part of dinner? The stuffing of course. Ammon wants that all the time, not just on Thanksgiving or Christmas. Just cornbread, fresh sage, green onions, chicken stock, freshly ground black pepper and salt. It really is so good and a GREAT recipe. I love being in charge of making it!
The dessert table
Zane and Ammon cleaning up. So nice!!
Sloan brought over this gingerbread train that the kids got to do after dinner. They sure had a fun time. They ate more than ever got on the train, but it was still fun for them anyway! My Grandma Elva got to come over too. It was so great having so many people there with us that day.
A family shot (minus my dad)
So after Matthew got a nap, Ammon, Shaun and Chris all decided to go to a movie. I actually really enjoyed getting to spend the rest of the evening with Matthew and my mom (everyone else was gone). Matthew had a great time too can't you tell?!
He learned how to slide that night too. I showed him one time how to do it and he would do it over and over again. A future Yankee for sure!

I got to watch It's a Wonderful Life (another tradition) as I searched for Black Friday deals too. What a great holiday!!

0 comments: