Saturday, June 19, 2010

How could a 2-year-old's party take THIS much time?

It felt like Matthew's birthday party's preparation was almost like the prep for a wedding. Okay, not really, but I did spend probably 75 hours on it. Why? Well, number one, he's my only child. So, he is the one who gets all the money spent on him. He has no one to share things with. Two, little boys deserve to have cool parties. Three, and probably the biggest reason, because I LIKE IT. I just LOVE to plan parties and do events. I like to find everything that matches to go along with the theme. Another side reason? Well, I'm picky. I'm more than a little too picky. I almost don't trust other people. I have a big problem. I want to do everything myself, which only puts more stress on me, and it doesn't really allow anyone else to help, which is not that great. I first got the idea to do a Mickey Mouse birthday party from going to Disneyland of course. They have the most amazing things there! Mickey Mouse can be anything you can imagine so it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to do an airplane party (my original idea). After weeks of prep, the week of the party came and Thursday and Friday were spent all day long in the kitchen. We made trail mix, caramel apples, rice krispy treats, cake pops and a big Mickey cake. It was so much fun! While we were busy, it was a blast. I decided to take pictures as we went along with the cake for my own future reference.

I made the cakes Thursday and froze them. I got good deals with my 40 and 50 percent off coupons at Michael's for cake pans. I've built up quite the little collection of baking paraphernalia. We used a homemade buttercream icing to frost it and it was the best option I can think of, not to mention the best tasting.

Sloan said she had to wear gloves because she is a priss. I just had to get down to the nitty gritty.

Coloring and smoothing black fondant.

The kids played all day and my dad and Ammon cleaned up the outside.

We bought some of the new fondant that Duff from Ace of Cakes makes and I have to say that I love the taste of this buttercream fondant better. Plus, it was already colored red. When I had to color red fondant before, it was the biggest pain!


The finished cake. It wasn't bad and it only took me about three hours. Last year, I planned only a five hour time slot for making cakes. It ended up taking the ENTIRE day. This time, I planned the whole day and it only took me three hours. It was so nice.

This was Matthew's favorite part of the whole day. We got some chairs from the church and he pushed and pulled and set these up for almost an hour. Such a funny kid.

0 comments: