Wednesday, May 5, 2010

3 down; only eternity left...

May 4th every year is celebrated for us not by remembering a wedding, but usually about 99% of the time, Ammon and I (but much more Ammon) are remembering Hawaii. It was a wonderful honeymoon. We had such a fun time and the weather was amazing. I can close my eyes and see every island by memory. I can see the Interstate H3. Ammon thinks about Hawaii at least once a day, and often times more. Who would ever think he was a half-Brit?! (On that note, Ammon tells me almost daily that I am one of five Nationalities. Either Asian, Bollywood, Native American (Pocahontas), Hawaiian or Latina. It of course depends on what we're doing that day. Today of course? Hawaiian. I'm never American. Something really wrong there!)

For our anniversary I only really wanted one thing. It was my year to plan and our plans don't start until this weekend, but all I really wanted on May 4th was to go to the temple with Ammon! We were so lucky that we have my parents who are so willing to watch Matthew at the drop of a hat (that will take some getting used to when we move to NC in October. No automatic babysitter. Uh-oh). We had a great day at the temple and got to eat Hawaiian food afterward. Ammon just had to watch 50 First Dates (his all time favorite movie); in fact, he watched it almost three times before he had to go to work. It was a nice relaxing day and we got to eat dinner with Matthew; something that I loved. After all, isn't that partly why we get married?! I love being with Matthew and Ammon. Probably my favorite thing of all. I loved ending the night that way (then saying good-bye to Ammon as he heads off to work. Sometimes, grave yard shift isn't the best way to go).

Ammon just had to get Spam, eggs, Peanut butter cups, Hawaiian flowers and Pina Colada gum. When I woke up, he had the whole "Hawaiian ambiance" that he so desperately wanted. He's hilarious.
The rest of our anniversary will be celebrated later, but until then, here are a few things I've learned the past three years:
  • If you think you're right, you're usually in the wrong.
  • It takes teamwork and a whole lot of doing a whole lot that you don't want to do.
  • Sometimes, you just smile and act like you're having a good time and usually, you will just because you've changed your attitude.
  • Marriage is the second hardest job in the world with motherhood being first.
  • Things are not usually as bad as you think they are at the time.
  • We've learned that when it's me that starts to hold a grudge, it's usually Ammon who will hug me and tell me that we need to stop it before it really starts.
  • Most importantly, I need to look at Ammon the way the Lord looks at him...a worthy priesthood holder who does the best to provide for his family.
There are many other things I could go on about, but I think that I've just learned that marriage is work! But, like most good things that require work, it's usually worth it in the end.

2 comments:

sloan said...

why do you always make me teary eye?????? you are so sweet! I love you and happy anny!!!!

Moya said...

I have finally figured out how to get on here. Thank Goodness !
It truly was a Glorious day when you and my son Ammon were married !. Thank you both for making it the most wonderful day. It was a great blessing to watch you both sealed in the Temple. I too would have dearly loved to have had more of Ammon's family there to have shared the spiritual experience.
Chelsea, you were then , and always will be a beautiful person both inside and out. The fact that your beauty shines through from within sets you apart. you are both incredible young people.
I am so proud of you both !
I adore looking at pictures of Matthew. My heart is sad not seeing him, but I know that he will grow up in a healthy home, mind , body and spiritual !. I treasure the times I have been around Matthew. Such a pure spirit !. Love you guys !